Top-Five Reads of 2012: #1 Jeff Lemire's SWEET TOOTH


I love this series so much that it’s not even right. But considering that I’ve already ranted and raved about it, instead of spewing even more fanboy nonsense, I offer a short list of books that barely missed the top five.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

  • Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
    • I loved, loved, loved the writing in this book. It is simply too beautiful and haunting. This is, most definitely, how someone should build a setting/general location and bring it wholly and fully to life.
  • Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
    • The film entertained me well enough, but it didn’t blow me away. So I was more than a bit surprised that the novel is nothing short of amazing. The writing is so solid, it moves at a perfect fast-pace, and it’s so full of energy and insight that it’s almost impossible to put the damn thing down.
  • Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
    • More than anything, the language and writing itself is what made me like this book so much. Story-wise, it works on a basic level and kept me reading, but the writing is so gorgeous that it’s more than a bit enviable.
  • League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1 & 2 by Alan Moore, Kevin O’Neill (Illustrator)
    • Many in the comics’ world consider Moore the God of Comics, and it’s not surprising. So far, everything I’ve read of his is simply mind-blowing. These two books are most excellent reads on so many different levels that I can’t even begin to discuss them in such a short spot. Also, if you want the perfect example of an anti-hero, Moore has done WAY too good a job with his rendition of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde than should have been allowed. (The art, too, is all sorts of joy and joyness.)

  • I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly, J. M. Ken Nimura, (Illustrator)

This is how magical realism should be done. The metaphor works beautifully, and it really ends up being a very heart-wrenching read. One that takes a long time to leave the ol’ noggin.

  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    • There is just enough about this book that bothers me to keep it from the top-five, but it is close. It is super entertaining. And, really, if you’re into MMORPGs, the 80s, or videogames at all, you MUST read this thing. In the end, I think the plot trumps the theme, but it’s such a fun and enjoyable read that it’s hard not to love every page.